5.14.2009

...mexico kicks ass after all!

So I got to thinking about my recent trip to Mexico and how totally awesome it was. For eight days, friends and I vacationed on the fabulous Mayan Riviera. It was far more fun than can be related on a crummy blog about cycling and the city. We had virtually no complications during the entire trip even though I was the only one with any reasonable command of the Spanish language (albeit with a heavy gringo accent).

I know this is the usual line from recent vacationers, but it was quite pleasant disconnecting from all the shit you gotta deal with in "real life". No calls. No e-mails. No nothin, and I would pay any amount of money to do it again.

Of course we get back after our week of Caribbean fun and all that crap comes flooding back into our lives like the Mississippi into New Orleans (Oh 'scuse me, Nawlins). Normally this wouldn't come as any suprise, I've returned from vacations once or twice before, so allow me to put this in perspective:

We landed at JFK early in the morning on Sunday, April 26th. We hailed a yellow cab and were promptly ferried to our respective apartments for much needed R&R. Turning on the idiot box and firing up the internets, the woman and I were bombarded with news reports and headlines like this one:
Mind you, I'm fairly certain that at this point in time, only those 17 or so kids in queens even possibly had the piggy flu. 150? 150 kids? really?

Anyway, far be it for me to expect accurate reporting and hard hitting journalism from the boobs over at the Post. While I know nobody who is employed by them, I know I really like whoever comes up with the headlines. I'm trying to remember some good ones, hang on...
Oh yes! this one is just priceless. Its like Johnny Depp is saying "yo ho ho" or some such nonsense, but they've modified that trademark pirate diddle by adding a poignant D'oh! at the end. y'know? like homer Simpson? Get it? Hahahaha! you're so fucking clever NY Post.

Returning to my daily routine of playing chicken with cabs separated by a token stint as a freelance architect, I expected some curiosity about the Flu to come my direction from co-workers and others. Well, after quelling their suspiscions that I was infected with deadly international livestock viruses. I began to worry that I might actually be infected with something. That perhaps it was in my belly, waiting for the most opportune time (as dictated by murphy's law) to come bursting forth in all its haggard glory. It just so happened that according to FOX news (obviously someone if my intellect gets their news from only the finest of sources) the incubation period was about 8-10 days.

Oh shit I'm thinking to myself. I've gotsomething to do precisely eight days after my return from the source:

Damn, what an opportunity! Had I been a host to this disease, I could've given it to literally every other person on the ride. Especially considering the ride moves slower than christmas pretty much until you're in Queens (more on that in a later post), I would've had more than enough time to make sure each and every participant was good and sick. That 30,000 infected cyclists, NY Post, construe what you will with those numbers.

So all that aside, say yes to mexico. Brave the banditos, drug cartels, and piggies, and you'll have an awesome time. I guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment