9.22.2009

...roller bored

So I was perusing the cycling blogs and whatnot just now and came across this interesting video of professional skateboarders talking about something that I'm not terribly interested in. What I am interested in is Eric Koston's little skid there at about the halfway point and what this means in regard to inter-subcultural trading.

I honestly had no idea that for some reason, skateboarders were turning to cycling (fixed gear riding, specifically) in droves. While I was aware that many of the bike shops that seem to be popping up all over the place happened to sell decks, trucks, and wheels; I'm amazed at the number of former skateboarders (such as myself) that have turned to cycling in great numbers.

Well, its pretty obvious that freestyle fixed gear cycling would draw constituents from skateboarding as both sports revolve around hanging out at strange locations and hucking oneself off of and over objects and obstacles; something John Prolly can certainly attest to.


Then you've got people like me who take on hobbies or sports for entirely different reasons... Personally, I gravitate toward activities that allow me to be somewhat antisocial since I detest the idea of team sports.

I started skating in sixth grade (I guess that means I was about 11 or 12), the most socially formative years of one's life, in part to have a hobby and develop skills at something I enjoyed, but also because it allowed me quiet, deeply personal time for solitary thought.

Getting out of the house and rolling around by myself were some of the fondest memories I have of growing up in Texas; given that, its really no stretch to see why I like road cycling so much. I enjoy letting the miles slide by in silence, simply enjoying the moment, taking in the scenery and getting a lot of thinking done in the process.

While skating is a decidedly introverted sport, cycling is even more so, which makes me wonder if I would do well to join a cycling team next season. As I'd stated before, I plan on racing as much as I can next summer and will hopefully manage to make it up two categories in one season (cat5 - cat3). However I'm hesitant to join a social cycling group despite the benefits I may reap from such involvement (racing tactics, fast group rides, snazzy logoed-up club kits, etc).

Being a highly critical person, I must very carefully choose which cycling club (if any) I would join. On one hand, there are big teams like Kissena and NYCC that everyone and their mother belong to, and on the other hand there are very small, tight knit clubs that are "invite only" status.

Initially, my rough plan of attack is as follows:
  1. Train all winter against category 3 race times.
  2. Buy USAC racing license as an "Unattached Rider"
  3. Attend 10 races and category up to 4 by early next summer
  4. Enter Prospect Park Race series and ride in all races.
  5. THEN I will toy with the idea of joining a cycling club.
Hopefully this approach will allow me to have a broader reputation and subsequently an easier time courting smaller clubs with (I hope) cooler people.

At any rate, starting last week, I'm training at Prospect Park as often as possible. I'll be doing race-pace rides around the 3.4 mi loop on Tuesdays and Thursdays every week at 8:00 p.m. with the remaining days being devoted to honing bike handling skills, endurance, climbing, and interval training.

If anyone feels like coming out for a zippy ride on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, you're more than welcome to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment