9.02.2009

... oh the irony


So this is what the new Sands St. separated bike lane has been reduced to; a parking spot for cable repairmen. If you've ridden this luxurious route to or from the bridges, like me you will wonder how these guys thought it was ok to hop the 6" curb that's obviously meant to deter vehicular traffic from violating the bike route.

Whatever, it's ok they're just doing their job right?

Speaking of jobs, some of us have jobs that consume our lives; we derive a sense of worth and accomplishment from the daily struggles at the office and know that it's for the benefit of both ourselves and the companies we work for.

Then there are those of us whose jobs are pointless and trite, though because we could be worse off, we stick around to continue the flow of income to fund "real life" which happens on the weekends and evenings.

Even lower on the great career totem are people like me, who've somehow gotten stuck getting paid little more than unemployment insurance would provide, yet stick around in vain hopes of one day being financially or productively vindicated even though the boss has more pressing matters to attend to.

I suppose that if you stay in the latter two situations long enough, you start to define your life by other means as necessary for coping with the extreme inequity of your situation. I have started filling my time with cycling and blogging, for instance, and I feel slightly heartened to read that others derive pleasure from similar things as well.

NYC's best Woody Allen impersonator to-date fills his mornings, weekends, and evenings exploring the city's 600+ miles of bike lanes. Apparently he's recorded each bike lane he rides and for how long and far, and has just completed riding on every lane in the city, culminating with Chrystie St. recently.


Well, this utterly shames the Bike Lane Rideability Index with its comprehensiveness. Though I do hope to one day have ridden every bike lane as well, and document each one here for the benefit of all, I doubt I could do it in the befuddled and self-depricating manner of Mr. Kronenberg there.

Curiously, he rode all that way on a $120 department store mountain bike. I guess it goes to show that any bike is better than no bike.

Speaking of which, I've put a few miles on my 'poor-man's road bike'; my odometer just rolled over 1000mi on my commute in this morning. whopee.

No comments:

Post a Comment