7.29.2009

...Video Wednesdays

I'm in a pensive mood today, juggling work on two fronts while attempting to instigate a professional change-of-venue. I'm worried that getting away from the practice of architecture may be slightly damaging to my resume, however the employment I currently 'enjoy', leaves much to be desired on many levels, and gainful it is not.

With a little luck, I can segue my skills at spatial comprehension and the fine art of tinkering into a stint as a bicycle mechanic. Somehow I've got to logically weigh the pro's and con's of both moving away from the profession for which I was trained though am rather unhappy in, and transforming yet another hobby into a job, risking my lust for cycling.

I suppose that is the risk with every job; you can't do something you hate, but then again, if you love it too much, it will invariably end up offending your principles, causing you to become disillusioned and subsequently unpleasant to work with.

On the flip side, I can't help vain-glorious fantasies from clouding my judgment somewhat. When I dream of having a bicycle-centric job, it looks something like this:



Alas, I'm well aware that the reality is far from this idealized world of merino jerseys and syncopated arm-flailing. I have no delusions of grandeur (that my vast intelligence has made me aware of, anyway) about a job fixing and building bicycles, so I can only deduce that it must go something like this:



While I mull over the merits of such a selfless profession, I'll leave you with this video, which portrays my pensiveness about such a transition:



(As it happens, I once designed a laboratory for the mountain he's leaping off of, next to the Mardalsfossen, one of the highest waterfalls in europe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment